Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Mixed Up Summer Journal

It's Amy here today, to share a recent book I made for myself. I have recently become very dependent on Google calendar on my iPhone to organize myself and my family, but I often need a place to quickly write a note, stick a business card or brochure, sketch out an inspirational idea, or tuck tickets from a movie or event. I was sort of needing a Smash book, but something more along the lines of a smash book meets journal, meets spiral notebook. I decided the only way to have this strange book, to my own to suit my needs and style, was to craft one myself. 
 
To embellish the inside covers, I simply took two pieces of super cheap stationery, ($1.25 for 150 sheets), cut them to fit the inside of the book covers,  and distressed them with the distrezz-it-all. Then I decoupaged them to the book, and gave the white area of the paper a coat of gesso, before misting them with black mist, and some drips from the cap.


I started with an old library book discard for my book's cover. The covers of this book were sturdy, but very vintage, and it was easy to tear the binding apart, and use just the outside covers. I decided I would have pages of differing sizes and textures inside, so I punched the holes with my bind-it-all on the top and bottom only. In retrospect, I would have punched all along the side, to simplify the process....but I do like the look of the separate sets of o wires.


I used my bind-it-all to punch and bind all kinds of interesting and quirky objects, like this 45 record I cut in half (the other half is on the book cover). The bind-it-all is amazing, and can just bite into nearly anything! I covered the cut ends in washi tape, and it kept the edges from potentially chipping and splintering during the punching process.
 

 I wrapped stamp packaging with washi tape (if anything needed edges, it was washi taped!) , and threw those in the mix of pages that also include library card pockets, a restaurant beer coaster, and legal sized envelopes. It always inspires me to have a mix of ideas, even in something somewhat utilitarian. Since this book will accompany me pretty much everywhere, I definitely wanted it to be inspiring! (Even if it's a little quirky and strange at the same time).

Another soft cover to a book was a fun addition, but it felt a little thin, so I added washi (again) to the edges. 


I had an old spiral notebook with some blank pages left, so I tore them out, and bound them, as well. Zutter chipboard helped me out with some stability, so I put gesso on one side of four pieces, and put October Afternoon travel themed papers on the other side. The other blank papers are more of the stationery, and it is simply folded in half and bound. There are plenty for me to use to journal/make notes on.

  

My summer has been quite mixed-up, and definitely hasn't been what I planned. But now, I have a fun and inspiring journal to tote with me during the last "dog days" before school starts. 
I hope maybe you will give creating a "mixed up" book a try.....it's so easy! Just grab your great Zutter tools, some random things you love, and in just a little bit of time, you'll have something special to use for ideas and inspiration, too! Thank you so much for joining me today! 



11 comments:

Joanna said...

Amy, this looks brilliant! I LOVE all the different shapes and sizes of your 'pages'. If I had this in my handbag I'd have to keep taking it out and stroking it!

Lil Deville said...

This is awesome! I love to take all kinds of mixed up stuff and bind it together to make an interesting journal/sketchbook/collection of bits.
Have never bound a record before though :)

Rhonda Van Ginkel said...

Really cool! I love the record idea a ton!

misty said...

This is fabulous amy! You make the most interesting books and mini's!

Kate said...

That record looks brilliant in the book will definitely try something like that with cds.
Kate xx

Michelle said...

Amy, my favorite part of your album is how you used the record in it. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness scrapness!! I think I should put on my flip flops and head to the local salvation army store in the hopes of finding some vinyl!!! This was the inspiration I needed!!

Anonymous said...

What sort of things can you put in there? I really like this idea but have no idea what to put into the book?

susi said...

I love, love, love your quirky smash/junkjournal/planner book! I have a Zutter BIA, and I've only used it a couple if times with success. The other times have been frustrating and I've wasted several o-wires in the process. Have you got any advice for me on how to use this cool little tool so it won't have to sit lonely In my craft cabinet? I want to make some great books like yours, but if I can't bind them nicely,

susi said...

I love, love, love your quirky smash/junkjournal/planner book! I have a Zutter BIA, and I've only used it a couple if times with success. The other times have been frustrating and I've wasted several o-wires in the process. Have you got any advice for me on how to use this cool little tool so it won't have to sit lonely In my craft cabinet? I want to make some great books like yours, but if I can't bind them nicely,

susi said...

I love, love, love your quirky smash/junkjournal/planner book! I have a Zutter BIA, and I've only used it a couple if times with success. The other times have been frustrating and I've wasted several o-wires in the process. Have you got any advice for me on how to use this cool little tool so it won't have to sit lonely In my craft cabinet? I want to make some great books like yours, but if I can't bind them nicely,